Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Private student loan consolidation?

My husband and I have a sizable amount of student loans (almost $100,000 combined) that are in private loans through Sallie Mae. My interest rates are outrageous, some are 7% to as high as 15%. Are there any good options for private student loan consolidation? If not, what other options are there to refinance these loans (would a home equity line of credit be better)? We are both looking to lower the payments and get a fixed interest rate while the prime is low. Thank you in advance for your advice and assistance.



Consolidation loans have all but disappeared in the last year or so... even in the big companies like Sallie Mae and Wells Fargo. It is simply not worth it for these companies to make these loans anymore. (Why loose money by consolidation when they are already getting 15% interest from you). I%26#039;m sorry I%26#039;m not much help.... but you couldn%26#039;t have combined your loans with his anyway. My advise is to pay them off quickly.





A home equity line of credit isn%26#039;t a viable option either, unless of course you own a home and actually HAVE $100,000 worth of equity in it. With the housing market as it is, most folks are upside-down on their mortgage. (Owe more than the house is worth). If you have this much in equity in your home (owe only 25K on a 125K house, for example), than more power to you. Go visit the bank Monday and ask. Personally I would not want to risk my house for private student loans, but that decision is up to you.





Also keep in mind that the interest you pay on student loans can be deducted off your income at tax time (without itemizing).... this is simply not the case with a home equity line of credit.





Sorry I was not much more help.




Hello,





My Name is Maureen Sliver i live in the UK and life is worth living comfortably for me and my family now and i really have never seen goodness shown to me this much in my life as i am a struggling mum with three kids and i have been going through a serious problem as my husband encountered a terrible accident last two weeks, and the doctors states that he needs to undergo a delicate surgery for him to be able to walk again and i could not afford the bill for his surgery then i went to the bank for a loan and they turn me down stating that i have no credit card, from there i run to my father and he was not able to help, then when i was browsing through yahoo answers and i came across a loan lender Mrs Lillian Johnson who provides loans at an affordable interest rate and i have been hearing about so many scams on the internet but at this my desperate situation, i had no choice than to give it an attempt and surprisingly it was all like a dream, i received a loan of $35,000 USD and i payed for my husband surgery and thank GOD today he is okay and can walk and is working and the burden is longer so much on me any more and we can feed well and my family is happy today and i said to my self that i will shout aloud to the world of the wonders of GOD to me through this GOD fearing lender Mrs Lillian Johnson and i will advise anyone in genuine and serious need of loan to contact this GOD fearing woman via lillianjohnsonloancompany22@yahoocom and i want you all to pray for this woman for me.


%0D%0A

No comments:

Post a Comment