Saturday, March 28, 2009

My fifth grader had an assignment due to write?

what would/could happen if she at the age of 18 was drunk on the beach the night before midterm exam, and needed a ride home. My question is what is the right reaction as a parent to this and what would be a bad reacation to this. Have any of you been there through that. I gather that as a parent I'd have to worry about the law comming down on me and not my kid as she is still under age to be drinking. If that same kid was 17 and not 18 would house arrest be a good option after of course I got her home. As I said my daughter was told to write a what if paper on this.



Hopefully, the teacher gave written instructions, i.e. a rubric, for her to follow.


At first glance this sounds like a weird assignment, but it could be beneficial to her. And remember, it is her assignment, not yours.


Have her:


1) Brainstorm, write down all the thoughts she can about the topic.


2) Choose the best details from that list she wants to write about.


3) Write an opening sentence ( or paragraph, depending on the length assigned) that covers the topic in a general way, so as to cover all she will write about, such as "Deciding to drink the night before an important exam could bring serious consequences not only for the test, but for my safety."


4) Write 3 details on the topic from the brainstorm... i.e. I may not be recovered to do my best on the exam. I may be forced to be in a situation that is unsafe due to my decision, etc.


5) Write a concluding sentence that summarizes what she has said. i.e. Deciding to drink the night before an important exam may not only have significant effects on my grade and schooling, but also cause me to be in a situation where I could be harmed or put in jail.





Anyway... it will cause her to do some adult thinking.





Take care.




The wrong reaction would be parents losing their temper, and the right reaction would be to tell them the long and short terms consequence. Everything decision we make have a consequence.




wow a fifth grader, perhaps you should be at the school talking this morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment